Wednesday 25 February 2009

Serendipity...

Serendipity has to be my favourite word. I love the way it sounds, rolling off the tongue and tapping the lips like a flamenco dancer moving to a vibrant rhythm. More than that, I love what it means - accidentally stumbling on good fortune. A friend of mine lent me a copy of a book that describes luck, because he thought I needed more of it - well we could all do with a little more luck, couldn't we...? But as I read through the first few pages I thought, hang on, I'm actually one of the luckiest people I know. OK, things don't always work out the way I hoped, but that's just life. So I thought I'd list three of my most lucky, unplanned and undreamt of moments some of which, strangely, came from moments that I would've chosen not to experience.

1) Losing my heart to an Australian which led me to Byron Bay, a small town on the Pacific Ocean in NSW that appealed to the Bohemian in me. There I found wonderful friends, a deepening interest in yoga and an alternative lifestyle and an intense love of the ocean. It is a town that changed my life and a part of me stays behind every time I have to leave.

2) My first foray into lone travel took me to Peru and a Scottish friend who has opened her heart and life to me, making my move to Aberdeen a breeze.

3) Losing a part time job in my last year of university, I still don't know how I got through financially, but without that experience I would not have had the time to devote to my studies and improve my final grade.

This particular experience is also borne of negativity and who knows where it will lead - but I am sensing a pattern here, I clearly need a good shove in order for my life to move on! So I think over the next few days, as I search for a part time job to support my endeavours as they find footing and take off, I will choose serendipity rather than wait for it to fortuitously land in my lap!

I am a lucky egg!

No comments:

Post a Comment